$10.5 million in state funds is requested to complete capital replacements and upgrades to the Caswell Park softball/soccer complex and to expand Caswell Park’s local, regional, and statewide benefit by constructing, furnishing, and equipping an indoor fieldhouse. The latter project will be located on property owned by the City of North Mankato immediately adjacent to Caswell Park.
Total project cost is $16.5 million dollars. Local revenue available for the project is $6 million dollars generated from an existing sales and use tax extended by voters in 2016 and approved by the Legislature in 2017. The remaining $10.5 million dollars needed for the project is requested to come from a state of Minnesota bonding appropriation.
$3.0 million dollars will complete upgrades to the existing Caswell Regional Sporting Complex (concession upgrades, restroom upgrades, parking lot addition, replace fencing, replace field lights, replace scoreboards, perform necessary site work, increase size of four fields to 300 feet, install knee wall and backstop nettings, provide additional spectator seating, replace the public announcement system, add gateway signage, and install turf field at Caswell North soccer complex. The softball portion of Caswell Park is located on a 27 acre parcel (1,176,120 square feet of which 4,000 square feet is concessions). The soccer portion of Caswell Park is located on a 17.5 acre parcel (762,300 square feet).
$13.5 million dollars will be used to construct a 90,000 square foot indoor field house. The field house will include four full sized basketball courts and six tennis courts. The basketball portion of the facility can be converted into eight youth sized basketball courts or eight full sized volleyball courts. The tennis courts can be converted into 12 pickle ball courts. Associated support space is included in the 90,000 square feet such as concessions, restrooms, meeting space, and storage.
Predesign – Completed
Engineering – Complete August 2020, pending bonding approval
Proposed Bid Date – August 2020
Construction Start – August/September 2020
Construction Complete – August/September 2021
Opening – October/November 2021
The only influencing factor is state bonding approval. All other financing is secured.
Thank you to the Minnesota Senate DFL Caucus and to local Senator Nick Frentz for including North Mankato's bonding request in your bonding bill. We appreciate your efforts to continue discussion on this important legislation.
1. Get Educated! Read about the proposal below! Weekly meetings are continuously producing more information and discussion for improvements to enhance the project.
2. Now that you’re more familiar with the project, spread the word! Share the news with your family and friends and anytime you see a media source covering the project, try to provide a positive statement of support in the comment section!
3. SHARE a quote or words of support with our facility advisee team at the User Quotes page of this website. (https://www.caswellsports.com/userquotes)
4. If you have a Facebook page, LIKE Friends of Caswell Sports, then Share it! https://www.facebook.com/friendsOfCaswell/
5. SUBMIT a letter to the editor in the Mankato Free Press supporting the project and making people realize this isn’t just about sports, it’s about the quality of life, increasing economic impacts, drawing visitors to our great town, and providing a safe place for all! https://www.mankatofreepress.com/opinion/letters_to_the_editor/
6. Inform your Legislators! Click on this link and send a letter or email of support to get these Men and Women to vote “YES” to approve our bonding request! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Yn73JxWljibmtsblNSWlYyWjVaSXRCZ29YMkZUNFpOajhz/view?usp=sharing
7. Sign the petition! Click here: http://chng.it/mhhTmQjbck, sign and please continue to spread the link!
The Caswell Sports Advisee Committee Thanks you for your time and support! Together we can get this built and enjoy the ample recreation opportunities it will supply and the economic vibrancy that will surround the facility for decades to come!
City of North Mankato staff completed at the request of the City Council, a document containing a project background, financial estimates, letters of intent, feasibility studies and design renderings for the proposed Caswell Fieldhouse.
|Year||Total Visitors||Economic Impact|
|Fieldhouse Impact 4th Year||14,189||$2,077,370.40|
|Indoor Sports Facility||Cost||%||Comments|
|Caswell Sports Fieldhouse||$13,500,000||82%||90,000 square foot field house, restrooms, concessions, locker rooms|
|Caswell Park Enhancements||$3,000,000||18%|
|City of North Mankato||$6,000,000||36%||$5.5 million local option sales tax (approved by 74% of voters in 2016 sales tax extension), $500k general fund|
|State of Minnesota||$10,500,000||64%||State Bonding Request|
|Concession Stand/Restroom Upgrades||$550,000|
|Parking Lot Additions||$350,000|
|New Vinyl-Coated Chain Link Fence||$320,000|
|Field Lighting Upgrades||$300,000|
|Replace Scoreboards (6)||$240,000|
|Increase Two Fields to 300'||$188,000|
|Turf Field at Soccer Complex||$650,000|
|Knee Wall and Backstop Netting||$120,000|
|Additional Spectator Seating||$60,000|
|PA System Replacement||$30,000|
|Field Gateway Signage||$20,000|